Thursday, April 9, 2015

Love & Logic

     I am reading a book loaned to me by a school councilor.  "Parenting with Love & Logic," by Foster Cline & Jim Fay, which you can find at:


      My grandson, Nick, six years old, has a bit of an aggression problem. His twin, Chris, is a "negotiator," but little Chris takes a more "direct" approach. When the lady sent the book home the first thing I thought was, "Yeah, RIGHT!" Here's one more bi-sexual liberal Democrat trying to tell me to let the kids run everything, and if they get out of control, well, they have a pill for that! Well, in a word, I was wrong. I'm allowed to be wrong twice a year. 

     The basic premise of the book is to let kids work out their own problems whenever possible. Now, that doesn't mean to allow them to play soccer in the freeway, but it demonstrates that when a child encounters an issue the parent should not micro-manage or rescue them every time, so long as the situation doesn't endanger life and limb. The more I read the book, the more absorbed I became. The authors actually suggested, when dealing with a child that has entered that stage of talking back, to let other kids handle it. When a five year old sasses a six year old, and gets his nose rubbed into the grass it just might be a good thing. I thought, "Whoa! Even a stopped watch is right twice a day. These Yankees might be onto something!" 

     Another section dealt with coats. Instead to telling children to wear a certain coat, simply mention to them that it is cold today and let THEM make the choice, and live with the result. Good, sound logic, but therein lays the problem. I'm going to have a meeting with the councilor and explain some facts of life to her. There is another element involved here, and we all know what that is. The CPS!

     I've got a busy body neighbor, two busy body teachers, and a busy body principal in my kid's lives. And let me tell you, brothers and sisters, they're open for business! Let's just take the coat idea for instance. Puck gets up with her usual attitude, which is always two bubbles short of plumb before her morning chocolate, and I do as the book says, casually mentioning only in passing that it is cold today. Depending upon which side her toast is buttered on that morning, Puck may, or may not choose to wear a coat, and most likely will not. So she parades down to the old bus stop with her, "Let It Go" T-Shirt and goes off to school. CPS call, NEGLECT! Here's comes Miss WhomEVER from the department, and we all have to bend  over for a full cavity search! 

     THIS is the issue we all have to address! The micro-managing of families by an ever intrusive government has got to stop! We have been investigated thirty-eight times in the last two years, all charges "ruled out" and the show goes on. Just yesterday, Puck decided to change her shoes at school, not liking the new ones we'd purchased, donning an old pair that she found more comfortable and there were questions coming down from the school because she didn't have shoe strings on the older pair. People, this was a major discussion involving certified Professionals with college degrees! Now, we're paying these people, folks. If they were just hanging out doing this nonsense it would be bad enough, but we give them MONEY for these shenanigans! I have to sell books to make a living. All they have to do with their time is look at an eight year old's FEET! I'm just a Simple Ol' Boy From Austin, but did I miss something here? 

     All that having been said, the book is a good, sound book. I believe if thinking people, such as these two authors get involved then we can get all these ponies back in the  corral. I would love to meet the writers and tell them, "Loved your book, agree with every word, unfortunately the CPS says you are recklessly endangering the children on Texas, and frankly they're wondering if you have children of your own!"

No comments:

Post a Comment